Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Baby Cookie Details

If you missed my post last Friday about our big announcement, you'll probably want to read it before this!

*First, I would like to thank each and every one of you who commented on my announcement post congratulating us! We appreciate all of the wonderful comments and well wishes. I TRIED to reply to each of you individually, but I could not reply to some of you because A) you are a no-reply blogger, so you do not get email replies, or B) your comments never came through to my email (yes, I checked the spam folder). I'm not ignoring anyone purposefully, though - we appreciate ALL of your comments!*



This all started when we were driving back from Missouri to Ohio after Christmas. I was feeling a bit "off" and knew something was up. It wasn't time for me to take a test yet, though (nor did I have any with me while we were traveling), so I waited. I didn't mention any of this to Dan because I didn't want to worry him.

When we arrived in Dayton, I finally decided to test, assuming I would get a negative result right away.

Instead, I saw a VERY faint line. I was unsure of how to process that. I couldn't get excited yet because I didn't know what it meant. I read the instructions, and they said that ANY line is a line... but I was still skeptical. I waited another day and took two more. They were also faint.

By this time, it was New Year's Eve. I was pretty sure all those faint lines couldn't be mistakes, but you never know. I went out to dinner with Dan for our annual Thai food on New Year's Eve, making small talk but avoiding the subject because I wanted to tell him in a different way. After dinner, friends came over to celebrate the new year, so I held it in all night, making my own drinks so no one would know (NOjitos for the win!) and toasting only a teeny tiny sip of champagne at midnight.

By the end of all of this, I took several tests - even more than what's pictured - oops. Before I could share the news with Dan, I wanted to be positive. I just did not trust those faint lines... so I offered to pick him up a bunch of kale that he needed for a recipe and set out to buy a digital test, which I took as soon as I got home and which came back immediately with the word "positive".



I knew after the digital test that I had to tell Dan... but I was pretty nervous. This isn't exactly something we planned on happening so soon. I stopped taking the pill at the end of November, but we both know so many couples who have taken several months to get pregnant that we thought for sure it would be a while. 

Nope. One month later, everyone. One month. It can happen - so don't assume it won't like we did. 

We are super excited to parents, though, and we welcome this opportunity! Our families are ecstatic, and we just can't wait for September to get here so we can welcome Baby "Cookie" to the family! 

Soon, I will post about how I ended up sharing the news with Dan. Until then, I'll leave you a little preview: I knew in 2014, and he didn't find out until 2015. I'm awful, I know. 
  • How long did you wait to tell your husband you were pregnant?
  • Would you be able to keep it a secret?

9 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! And wow, that is amazing that you got pregnant so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be the hardest thing to keep secret!~!! :) I already have trouble keeping surprises to myself lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never able to keep it from my husband lol

    Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still so excited for you and Dan! I can't wait to read about how you told him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again. How awesome. I told my husband right away. I think I said, "You knocked me up again!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats again!! I love the cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those pregnancy test crack me up! It took us a while to get pregnant with Trenton, but then no time getting pregnant with Charlotte. She was supposed to be a post-deployment baby; not a middle of deployment baby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, our story is very similar! I stopped taking the pill and, since we'd tried before without success, I didn't expect anything to happen for a while. Fastforward to being on the way home from vacation and thinking, "I probably ought to buy a test." I waited as LONG as I possibly could (SoldierMan was pestering me to just go buy one) because I wanted to be sure-sure-sure. The cookies are too cute!

    Blogger has stopped emailing me comments as well. Very frustrating, but glad to hear it isn't just me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I think I always envisioned telling Tom in this cute way, but we found out together in an ultra sound for other things. Out goes that idea, but I love how we found out together. I am so pumped for you all!

    ReplyDelete