Thursday, July 11, 2013

Book Review: Shadow Children Series

Many of you may have heard of the Shadow Children Series, a collection of seven book by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It's a middle grade level book, meaning that it is targeted for late elementary school to middle school readers. I remember reading the first one, Among the Hidden, when I was in middle school myself. Since I now teach retained 8th graders, I buy a lot of books. I always try to preview them before I put them out, so I read this entire compilation last winter.


There are seven books in the series: 

1. Among the Hidden
2. Among the Impostors
3. Among the Betrayed
4. Among the Barons
5. Among the Brave
6. Among the Enemy
7. Among the Free

As I read book one, I remembered a lot of it, which says a lot since it had been at least 12 years since I'd read it.

Goodreads, as always, provides a great synopsis. I won't bore you with all seven (and also because I don't want to give anything away). Here's book one:

Luke has never been to school. He's never had a birthday party, or gone to a friend's house for an overnight. In fact, Luke has never had a friend.

Luke is one of the shadow children, a third child forbidden by the Population Police. He's lived his entire life in hiding, and now, with a new housing development replacing the woods next to his family's farm, he is no longer even allowed to go outside.

Then, one day Luke sees a girl's face in the window of a house where he knows two other children already live. Finally, he's met a shadow child like himself. Jen is willing to risk everything to come out of the shadows -- does Luke dare to become involved in her dangerous plan? Can he afford not to?


Doesn't that just draw you in right away? It sure did for me. These books may be written for 12-14 year olds, but the concept and plot is phenomenal. I highly recommend this entire series to all children, teenagers, teachers, parents, babysitters, and book lovers. Basically, just read these books. Who cares if they weren't written for your age group? The concept of the Shadow Children Series will make you think. A lot. And then read some more and think some more. Just do it.

Oh, and if you want to read about the other books, check out GOODREADS, and search for each one by title.

No comments:

Post a Comment