Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review: If I Stay

If you're looking for a quick, dramatic read, you should check out If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I couldn't put it down -- but that was okay because it was nice and short! I was able to devour this book in just a couple sittings, despite my packed schedule.


One of my favorite websites, Goodreads, provides wonderful synopses of books. I am so glad I stopped wasting my time writing about the plot of novels I read. Borrowing from them is much more convenient, and it leaves me more time to simply give my opinion. 

If I Stay by Gayle Forman:

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

Overall, If I Stay is a novel that will stay with me for a long time. Immediately, I put myself in the narrator's shoes. I was completely engrossed with the topic of being barely alive and not completely comprehending the events around yourself. My own mortality is something that fascinates me. I don't mean that in a weird way at all, like I think about dying. I absolutely do not. I am a curious individual, though, and that curiosity gets the best of me. Often, when I am in seemingly dangerous situations, I wonder what it would be like. What it would feel like. How quick it would be. This novel hooked me in from the very beginning, and I highly recommend it to everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just came across your blog as I am looking for military blogs to follow. I am brand new to the whole "military wife" scene and am learning so much through these blogs. Just wanted to introduce myself...hope its ok if I follow. I love your take on the whole "military community" in the post below. Thanks for sharing! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! That is great that you're looking for military blogs. The community is very helpful because you'll get all kinds of different perspectives. From looking at your blog, I see that your husband joined the Air National Guard -- that's awesome! My fiancé was in that before he applied to the Air Force Academy. We aren't married yet, but we've been together for over four years, and we've dealt with the Air Force every step of the way (he was already in when we met). The lifestyle is certainly a challenge, but it is also very rewarding. I'm glad you found my blog!

      -Janelle

      Delete