Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: Grace, Gold, and Glory

I am oh-so close to finally catching up with blogging about all of the books I read in 2012. That is a nice feeling, but knowing that I already have 18 books to review for 2013 is daunting. I will be picking and choosing which ones to review just to keep my own sanity. Anyway, today's review is of Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith by Gabrielle Douglas.


Who is Gabrielle Douglas? Gabby is the 2012 London Olympics ALL AROUND GOLD MEDALIST. She is an American gymnast who grabbed the appeal of audiences worldwide. She is known as the Flying Squirrel on the uneven bars. Gabby is a mega-talented teenager from Virginia... who happens to be an Olympic champion on the side. 

The synopsis of Grace, Gold, and Glory from Goodreads says: 

In the 2012 London Olympics, US gymnast Gabby Douglas stole hearts and flew high as the All-Around Gold Medal winner, as well as acting as a critical member of the US gold-medal-winning women gymnastics team. In this personal autobiography, Gabby tells her story of faith, perseverance, and determination, demonstrating you can reach your dreams if you let yourself soar.

Gabby grew up in a family without much money, but that didn't stop her from becoming a talented athlete. This inspiring book tells of her struggles as a young girl and how she, with the help of her mother and older siblings, overcame everything to achieve her dreams. Gabby mentions that she almost quit gymnastics. She ALMOST gave up her passion. She ALMOST didn't follow through with her goals. But instead of quitting, she worked harder... and look where it got her!

I recommend this book to readers who are also gymnastics fans and also to friends who need a nice pick-me-up! I thoroughly enjoyed Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith.

PS- I reviewed another gymnast's book last year. To read about Shawn Johnson's book Winning Balance, CHECK OUT THIS OLD POST.

No comments:

Post a Comment